Major activity of the Department is the coordination of activities towards national implementation of the Climate Change Convention and the Kyoto Protocol. The Ministry carries out these activities through the Department by working in collaboration with other relevant government organizations, non-governmental organizations, academia and private sector under a Committee known as Inter-ministerial Committee on Climate Change (ICCC). ICCC forms a policy advisory organ for the Federal Government of Nigeria under the Chairmanship of the Federal Ministry of Environment. The Committee meets regularly on quarterly basis and on ad-hoc basis to review polices on climate change, advice the Federal Government on appropriate actions, and put up Nigeria’s position at meetings where climate change issues are being discussed or negotiated.
The Department’s activities also include:
• Annual national inventory of greenhouse gas emissions and assessment of mitigation options;
• Assessment of the country’s vulnerability and adaptation to the impacts of climate change;
• Undertake studies and researches, through consultancies, in the science of climate change;
• Management of database for inventory, vulnerability and adaptation assessments;
• Education and public awareness programme;
• Development of information sharing systems through establishment of a national climate change website;
• The Department serves as Designated National Authority (DNA) for implementation of Clean Development Mechanism (CDM);
• Participating in the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change and the Kyoto Protocol processes especially in further negotiations towards elaborating issues of implementation within the Convention and the Protocols.
• The Ministry collaborates with the National Linkage Centre on Climate Change and Freshwater Resources situated in the Federal University of Technology, Minna in areas of training, research and data gathering on climate change.
• The Ministry also collaborates bilaterally and multilaterally with World Bank, UNIDO, UNDP as UN organisations and non-governmental organizations.