This is the newest of the 8 technical departments of the Federal Ministry of Environment. It was upgraded from Special Climate Change Unit (SCCU) in December 2011 to demonstrate government’s commitment to introducing and implementing adaptation and mitigation measures necessary to reduce vulnerability to climate change.
To ensure that Nigeria develops in harmony with the environment.
To regularly update information regarding national inventory of the Green House Gas emission and mitigation options, vulnerability assessment and adaptation measures and to satisfactorily provide a sustainable policy framework and enabling environment for the implementation of the UNFCCC and Kyoto Protocol and any other climate change guidelines, laws and control in Nigeria.
To co-ordinate national implementation of United Nation Framework Convention on Climate Change, its protocol and any other legally binding agreements for implementing climate change activities.
FUNCTIONS OF THE DEPARTMENT
The Department of Climate Change has four divisions:
- Green House Gas division (GHG),
- Vulnerability and Adaptation division,
- Education, Awareness and Outreach division, and
- Mitigation division.
Together they undertake the following:
- Undertaking annual national inventory of GHG emission and assessment on mitigation options;
- Undertaking assessment of vulnerability to the impacts of climate change;
- Undertaking appropriate mitigation action;
- Undertaking studies and research through consultancy services in the sscience of climate change;
- Preparation of National Communication under Climate Change Convention;
- Management of database for inventory, vulnerability and adaptation assessments;
- Education, training and awareness programmes;
- Development of information sharing systems through establishment of national climate change website (climatechange.gov.ng);
- Implementation of Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) of the Kyoto Protocol as the Designated National Authority (DNA-CDM)